Today is the day, the day for Americans to vote. Have you? If not go…now. Do not let this day go by without making your voice heard. Not only because your vote is needed. Vote also because you have this precious right to do so, don’t waste this freedom, bought and paid for by the blood of many. Many around the world would love to have this privilege. To vote with out fear. To know that while they still live in a deeply flawed country…it is still a country that offers freedom. Go and take a stand, and then after you have stood remember that God is still sovereign. He rules and reigns over the people of Earth. Remember that all authorities are ordained by Him. Trust Him, because whatever He ordains is right. The following is a prayer for today, written by John Piper. It is my prayer as well. May the Lord move upon His people, to accomplish His will, for His glory.
Father in heaven, as we approach this election on Tuesday, I pray
1) that your people will vote,
2) and that they will vote with a sense of thankfulness for a democratic system that at least partially holds in check the folly and evil in all our hearts so that power which corrupts so readily is not given to one group or person too easily;
3) that we would know and live the meaning of
- being in the world, but not of it,
- doing politics as though not doing them,
- being on the earth, yet having our lives hidden with Christ in God,
- rendering to Caesar the things that are Caesars, and to God the things that are God’s;
4) that we would discern what truths and values should advance by being made law and which should advance only by the leavening of honest influence;
5) that your people would see what love and justice and far-seeing wisdom demand in regard to the issues of education, business and industry, health care, marriage and family, abortion, welfare, energy, government and taxes, military, terrorism, international relations, and every challenge that we will face in the years to come;
6) and above all, that we will treasure Jesus Christ, and tell everyone of his sovereignty and supremacy over all nations, and that long after America is a footnote to the future world, he will reign with his people from every tribe and tongue and nation.
Keep us faithful to Christ’s all important Word, and may we turn to it every day for light in these dark times.
In Jesus’ name,