*Click on pictures to enlarge
We took an impromptu camping trip to Lost Maples State park this weekend. Here are just a few of the things I learned on our trip:
1. I learned the difference between a hill and a mountain. The children have asked me several times over the years how they classify hills from mountains. This time they really wanted to know if they were climbing a hill or a mountain. Turns out it was a mountain…just barely.
2. My children get excited over CRAZY things. Like drinking water from the springs. I cautioned them, but they have read too many survival books and watched too much Man vs. Wild. Richard let them. When they were incredulous that I would not partake of their water from the rock treasure, I reminded them that I’ve done the parasite thing, and I wasn’t impressed.
3. There is actually a part of Texas I find beautiful and attractive. It almost made me want to stay here. Then I was reminded that land there is WAY out of our price range.
4. There is no cell phone service there.
5. There are however, tarantulas.
6. Tarantulas are aggressive and angry little creatures, with HUGE fangs to attack with.
7. There are in fact people on this planet, apparently at our camp ground, who feel these horrid little creatures deserve saving. These people will go to great lengths to remove them from the road so they don’t get ran over. Seriously.